Saturday, January 22, 2011

5. A picture of your favorite memory



My junior year of high school, my dad won a trip for two to Hawaii from his job. He had sold the most cars that year for his dealership, which was quite an accomplishment. He took me, and as a consolation, sent my sister to Tennessee to visit a friend who had moved away. The time we spent in Hawaii, over Thanksgiving weekend, is a memory I cherish. Hawaii is beautiful, relaxed, and peaceful, and the one on one time with my dad was really special. We rented a car and drove around (literally) Oahu, caught a huge surfing competition on the north shore, stopped at hippy little roadside art (and "herb") stands, lay on the beach, ate delicious food (as well as poi, the most disgusting food I've ever had) at a luau, met cool locals, and, on the last day before we took off, went to see Mrs. Doubtfire at a cinema. I cried through the movie (it was a really funny comedy), mainly because Daniel/Mrs. Doubtfire was so close to his kids, and the relationship reminded me of my own with my dad. I looked over and he was crying too. We laughed too, mainly at how similar we are. I'm glad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a blessing! And I rarely ever use that word. But a father/daughter relationship like that is priceless. Congrats! :)

And wow you used to have looooong hair!!!

Jessa said...

That's terrific! What a great story!